Sunday, September 21, 2008

An Epilogue

Been reading C.S. Lewis' Grief Observed.

Wonderfully refreshing. Really knocks some sense into you.

He talks alot about what we thought to be true being houses of cards when those assumptions are actully put to the test.

After the initial gut reaction though and the first few days of ridiculously ridiculous emotional body slams, you become sane again.

Anything I've ever lost is nothing compared to what Jack lost.

I have a feeling that I'll be coming back to this book quite a few more times before I will be in the position of sympathizing with it.

It's a treasure trove of courage and the fight for sanity against overwhelming odds. It's encouraging.

Not that I have anything comparable to his. Jack's courage shames me in so many ways I don't even know where to start.

Moreover, the sheer patience and goodwill of my friends, I'm astounded! How is it that I (of all people) should have been so blessed?! Perhaps it is born of love...

It's like coming out from the dim half light of a cave into full sunshine. I'm reminded of the last line of the Inferno

"He first and I behind, we climbed so high
that through a small round opening I saw some of the turning beauties of the sky.
And we came out to see, once more, the stars."


And also of Eliot:

"And last, the rending pain of re-enactment
Of all that you have done, and been; the shame
Of motives late revealed, and the awareness
Of things ill done and done to others' harm
Which once you took for exercise of virtue.
Then fools' approval stings, and honour stains.
From wrong to wrong the exasperated spirit
Proceeds, unless restored by that refining fire
Where you must move in measure, like a dancer."


Each end is a beginning.

How great is the Love of God which redeems all our loves!

I owe a great debt to you, my friends. For your love and patience I will ever be grateful.

Blessings and Happiness as you begin your Journey and thank you for indulging my extended farewell.

"And the dashing and handsome hero gets the beautiful lady and they ride quickly towards the sunset and into Happily Ever After."

Roll Credits.

P.S. That was the Sappiest post ever. ;)

No comments: