Monday, February 25, 2008

Keeping the Music Alive

It's all in the Bible,

"For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it." (Matt. 16:25)

One of my big fears is the possiblity of losing the ability to love music. Like a person who begins by enjoying a song and ends up hating it (after listening to it repeatedly on the radio) I dread the same fate for concert music. (Specifically Rach's music).

But this is not so, and (Thanks ever so much to C.S. Lewis in "The Weight of Glory" and "The Four Loves" and "The Great Divorce")

When anything is yielded up to God, it becomes greater than anything we could have done with it.

If I realize that music (especially Rach's Piano Concerto no.2) is only (and here it is the good type of "only") a signpost pointing to the Divine Beauty, and if I appreciate it for what it is. Then it becomes all the more beautiful to me because I have placed it in proper relation towards God.

However, as soon as I begin 'worshipping' music and expecting more from it than what it was meant to be, then I have made it into a god thus turning it into a demon (paraphrase from Four Loves). Demons don't keep their promises.

So here's to appreciating music for a lifetime and loving it as a little window through which we recieve glimpses of God. =]

No comments: