Sunday, February 10, 2008

In Which I Remember I Forgot Something...

Then remember exactly what it was that I forgot. =]

I forgot that I had bought ...wait for it.....

THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS OF RACHMANINOFF!!!

*Heavenly choir sings*

Yes, this indescribably wonderful set contains every known recording that Rachmaninoff ever made. =] I am incredibly excited about it!

From the liner notes:

"Rachmaninoff was a pianist after my fancy. He was the most fascinating pianist since Busoni. He knew the secret of the golden vivid tone, the inimitable tone coming from the heart. In my strong opinion he was a greater pianist than a composer."

-Arthur Rubenstein, My Many Years

If that wasn't from Rubenstein I'd find that hard to believe! He does have a point though, (as I've said before) Rachmaninoff seems to have bursts of beautiful ecstatic genius rather than a flatline of quality (Mozart for example).

I also bought C.S. Lewis' Four Loves and Pilgrims Regress.

G.K. Chesterton's Everlasting Man, St. Francis of Assissi, and St. Thomas Aquinas

The Illiad and the Odyssey! The Aeneid as well. =]

Oh and I found a wonderful wonderful blessing in hand copying the letter of Philipians, my hand is a bit sore, but truly, truly, I have been blessed. No better way of conveying what it was like except to say: Go do it! (When you can find time of course, preferably on the weekend).

Further up and Further in!

1 comment:

Pauline said...

:) Very exciting about the complete works! And all the other purchases, as well. So many books to read!
That's why we have summer?