Sunday, February 3, 2008

On almost finishing Part II of Anna K

Some questions:

MKR: "In regards to Anna K the lady herself, can you separate her from her sin? Is there a point where Anna and her choices determine who she is?"

Um, hmmm. That's hard. I'm pretty sure that the choices we make have either negative or positive effects upon our soul. Either bringing us closer to Heaven or Hell, but although I want to say that eventually her sin defines her, my own experience does not seem to corroborate this.
For example, (As C.S. Lewis puts it) there has always been one person with whom we seperate the sin from the sinner. Namely, ourselves. When we sin, do we identify ourselves with our sin? No! Dengenerate as we are, we still abhor our own sin and feel shame and hope furiously to be able to overcome it. (Thank God that we have been saved through Christ!) We sin, but it feels so very alien to us.
Now in the case of Lady Anna, she also feels this horror and shame at her sin, but it seems to me that she doesn't wish to repent either. When she looks at her husband during her affair with Vronsky, it's almost as if she wants to find faults in him so as to justify herself. Tolstoy is so good! With each further step away from grace, we feel are hearts wrenched at such beauty (Lady Anna) perverting itself (Vronsky...did I mention how much I dislike him?). So in sum, I don't know yet if there is a point where Lady Anna's sin becomes her...I'll just have to finish the book then. =]

Blarney: "how much sin does it take before one cannot be separated from their sins? Is there a "Point of No Return" in regards to sin/sinning?"

Thank you for the vote, but I think MK would probably be a better candidate, =] It is her favorite!

As to the question, I would think that there is always a chance for redemption as long as there is life. The only "unforgivable sin" would be to reject the promptings of the Holy Spirit. I'm still debating whether Anna has crossed this line yet. She actually begins to loath her husband. At this point it seems that only the love she has for her son can save her.

Me:
Why does Stiva feel no shame in Adultery except when he's caught when Anna is tortured by it?

Why is society so lenient towards him?

How could Anna fall for such a horribly wicked person like Vronsky?

How did Tolstoy become so good at writing? (Especially when he compares Adultery to Murder, Oh my Goodness! Soooooo Good.)

When can the story get back to Levin??!!!!


And me is really really really terribly sorry for sort of kind of um.... findingoutwhathappenedattheendofstory. Ahhhh!!! Don't hurt me...

No comments: