Monday, March 31, 2008

Dies Irae II

Apparently a whole lot of other composers use the Dies Irae plainchant melody in they're works. In fact its pretty much a musical idiom for death.
I was extremely priviledged to attend a performance at USC of Totentanz by Franz Litz. The work is a paraphrase of the Dies Irae. An astounding and jaw-dropping display of brilliant pianistic virtuosity. I was pretty much in awe for a day or two. Just listen to a recording of it! I also got a really good seat! All those octaves, jumps, glissandos, etc. Absolutely amazing. I was also able to listen to the live radio broadcast of Gustavo Dudamel's conducting. =] Prokofiev's first piano Concerto was amazing. At moments very lyrical and joyfully exuberant. I was reminded constantly of a child just beginning to learn his Alphabets. =] And then there was the Fantastic Symphony by Berlioz. And here's where the Dies Irae comes in. I think during the Movement known as the Witch's Sabbath. The Dies Irae does all kinds of transformations. Plus Berlioz has these awesome 2,500 pound church bells clanging away. Yeah. I'm sure there is so much more I'm unsure of. =]

2 comments:

sarah marie said...

Hi Gabriel,

Thanks for visiting my blog. How did you find me? To answer your question, our Steinways are both model Ms. They were both given to us as gifts, believe it or not! We are very blessed. :)

I enjoyed your blog... I'll visit again!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TĂȘnis e Sapato, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tenis-e-sapato.blogspot.com. A hug.