Thursday, October 4, 2007

Rewards...

So, I was doing SAT prep stuff. And it seems to me that I work best when I'm focused. Now I know this would probably be an obvious fact, but everything seems to be more interesting when you care about it, or at least about finishing it. See, I was rushing to finish the SAT sections so I could watch "Pushing Daisies" which, by the way, is a very funny show. Dark humor. =] Anyways, I was just thinking, why do I have to have a tv show to get me excited about doing things? I'm trying to find a way to be truly motivated by better motives. You know, like where your treasure is, there your heart is also. How do we truly become motivated through the daily drudgery of tasks with right and good motives. I think Chesterton says it nicely with this piece of advice,

"It is a good exercise, in empty or ugly hours of the day, to look at anything, the coal-scuttle or the bookcase, and think how happy one could be to have brought it out of the sinking ship on to the solitary island. But it is better exercise still to remember how all things have had this hair-breadth escape: everything has been saved from a wreck. Every man has had one horrible adventure: as a hidden untimely birth he had not been, as infants that never see the light. Men spoke much in my boyhood of restricted or ruined men of genius: and it was common to say that many a man was a Great Might-Have-Been. To me it is a more solid and startling fact that any man in the street is a Great Might-Not-Have-Been."

So, back to work...

1 comment:

MK Reynolds said...

very neat Gabriel :)

And Chesterton sprees are cool ;)