Thursday, August 23, 2007

Music

My last post got me thinking and here are some tid-bits on music. I love music. Especially Classical music. I like to think of Classical music as the main course and all other types as appetizers, desserts, etc. The rhythms, harmony, and melody. They all meld together into something that cannot be so fully expressed any other way. Words can only go so far. In the course of memorizing pieces, I've discovered how similar a piece of music and a written argument are. Each has a structure, for example, in a formal essay you have a thesis, a body, and a conclusion; in a piece of music, you have an exposition, a development, and a recapitulation. But these respective forms express things in radically different ways. Then you also have music for music's sake. Music that doesn't necessarily express anything except itself. It is what it is. Yet it's so amazing because empirically speaking, what is music except the ordering of sounds into.....well, organized sounds. I think music is more than the sum of it's parts. Even after playing the piano for so long, I still want more. Thank You God, for music.

No comments: